The congregation of St. Matthew was officially formed in 1926, and originally erected a permanent place of worship at 1658 Westheimer Rd. When the congregation grew too large for this small single room church they were able to buy a much larger, half-constructed church from the Hermann Hospital Estate in 1938, located on Main Street. After many renovations, including the addition of a chapel, fellowship hall, and school wing, it has become the church that the St. Matthew congregation cherishes today.
At St. Matthew, we continue to remember those saints who went before us while we look to the future, with Christ at the forefront. It is our hope and mission that St. Matthew remains a community where all are welcome to worship in the name of Christ Jesus our Lord.